Target Muscles: Triceps
Equipment: Cable Machine
Instructions: Stand, facing cable, in good body alignment (abs tight, chest up, back straight) with feet in comfortable position. Grip bar (palms down) and position upper arms perpendicular to the floor with elbows bent at 90 degrees. Keeping back straight, slightly bend forward. In a controlled motion, keeping upper arm perpendicular to the floor, push bar down, until arms are approximately straight. Contract triceps fully, without compromising form. While maintaining the controlled motion, return bar to starting position. Do not allow muscles to relax before next repetition.
Tips to properly doing tricep pushdowns
Don’t use too much weight. If you do, you’ll involve your back and shoulder muscles.
Allow your elbows to bend more than 90 degrees.
Pull your shoulders down and back and hold them that way for the entire movement.
Don’t lean forward or back as you perform the exercise.
A variation for this exercise is the Underhand-Grip Tricep Pressdown where you use an underhand grip on the bar.
Underhand-Grip Tricep Pressdown
1. Attach a straight bar to the high pulley of a cable station.
2. Bend your arms and grab the bar with an underhand grip, your hands shoulder-width apart.
3. Tuck your upper arms next to your sides.
4. Without moving your upper arms, push the bar down until your elbows are locked.
5. Slowly return to the starting position.
Stand as tall as you can.
Your palms should be facing up.
Straighten your arms completely.